Thursday 20 October 2011

3G Pranav (28)

Service learning provided me with the experience of caring for the less fortunate. It exposed me to the other side of society and showed me that not everyone can help themselves. Some people in Singapore actually require assistance from others and this experience has provided me the excellent opportunity to lend them a helping hand. It is a kindness and, in fact, our duty to help fellow Singaporeans in need. I learnt that we had to give these people as much aid as we could. It also changed the way I look at things, made me see through a different perspective and made me realize that we have to appreciate the gifts we have received in life. I have started helping people more as a result of this experience.

The best thing that happened during the experience was interacting with the people affected by the syndrome. I realized that they needed the help. They were friendly and cheerful all the time, making the general atmosphere pleasant. However i also felt a twinge of sadness as i knew that they could never be fully normal. This was why we had to help them. We helped them sort out and arrange their books in the bookstore they had. This experience taught me to be more selfless, to give rather than to take and to not look down on others. By helping these people  at the Down's Syndrome Association (DSA) out it made me feel happy as I was helping someone else for a change.

In my college and adult years I will definitely try my very best to stay involved in the community. Although I may not have enough time on my hands at that point in my life, I will still try to devote as much free time as I have to the community. This is because I believe that the community is important and I know that I will still be involved in the community in the later stages of my life. I would also encourage my family and friends  to get involved in the community as well.



No comments:

Post a Comment